Tuesday, March 24, 2020

PARENT EMAIL 3-24-20

Good Evening,
I want to take a minute to thank you for hanging in there with me as we navigate these new and stressful times. I know I have changed things up a few times already. We started with a huge, overwhelming list of ideas moved onto daily blog and emails and have settled in currently using google classroom. The reason for my changes have always been to try to streamline things, get organized and hopefully make your life easier with at home schooling. Technology has its strengths and weaknesses. Passwords have changed. Sites have gone down. And even more...the kids are first graders that have never done this much work on a computer. Everything was set for them to hit a button and it'd work for them at school. It's a different ballgame now. 

I am not a technology teacher but I am trying my best. I am ready to start trying to get the kids online together with me. We will try this Thursday at 10:00. I will be using Zoom. You will have to okay using it once you click the link I give you to join my meeting. I have gone to school and have some things at home I would like to try with the kids. I know not everyone will be able to make all of our meetings. I will try to tape them so people can try them at their convenience but I can't promise that will happen. 

Friday will be another School Packet Pick Up Day. I am warning you now that it is a lot of material. DO NOT GET OVERWHELMED thinking you need to do it all! Feel free to look at it. I tried to kind of group things. MUCH of it I will try to do with the kids online. I needed them to have access of the things I have so we can work together. I will also be giving some of the material sent home as at home work instead of just links on google classroom. 

As always, do what you can. DO NOT stress over what you miss or can't do. Children learn through life. They are learning every day in school and out of school. The days of them being this young are over so quickly. Take advantage of the uninterrupted time you are getting with them. Read books, go on walks, play board games, build a fort, play charades, learn a dance, tell stories about when you were little, write a book, look at old pictures...enjoy each other and make wonderful memories.

At home school is not going to be as long as in school time. Your child will go through lessons much quicker alone with you than s/he would in a class of 21. It's okay to set certain hours for school time and do what you can during them and then switch to family time. It's also okay to notice your child is stressed (or yourself) and take the whole day off! 

Now, this being said I know different people want different things. I will continue to put assignments on. I will begin video chats and learning. I have packets ready for you to go home Friday. I will continue with emails and blog. PLEASE, take and use what you can and feel comfortable doing.

Questions:  Does this all sound reasonable? What time of day would work best for zoom chats/learning:  (Planning for 30-45 minutes)
              The earlier the better,         mid morning               or mid afternoon?

I emailed you the link to the zoom meeting. I will send the link to you again Thursday morning to make sure you have it :).

Thank you again. I know I'm long winded. I like you to have as much info as I can give you. Please answer the above questions with your preferences or I will assume you are good to go :).

No comments:

Post a Comment